Since when?

Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic... to democracy!
Kadian
Jedi

Since when?

Post by Kadian »

Since when has the President of the United States not been able to address the students of this country about the importance of education and staying in school??? I am really at a loss to understand why some people think that the President should not make a few comments to the children of this country.... I mean he is obviously going to make a generic speech about staying in school and stuff, so why are people so full of hate that they can't allow that to happen??? Just more Republicans worrying that some view other than their own might be heard by their children.....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090903/ ... ws_pl888_1

To be honest, if the President decided to address me in this manner for whatever the case might be, I would feel honored, even if it were a President I didn't vote for.... I just don't get it....

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

the original press release said the kids were to write themselves a letter on how they can help Obama. it was the original outcry that got them to change the language in the press release regarding the address.... that was the problem, not the actual talking to the kids..

the kids shouldn't be writing letters on how to help Obama.... they should be focused on school.... which is what the address was supposedly about (i didn't read it or see it so I don't know exactly)

Conservatives are being pulled off into too many directions... they need to focus on whats important, and that is blocking public option health reform, instead of being distracted by some other form of liberal bullshit.
im so disciplined i fold my pocket kings 1 out of every 3 times i get them

Crow
Jedi

Post by Crow »

As far as I am concerned, this is not civics education — it gives the appearance of creating a cult of personality," said Oklahoma state Sen. Steve Russell. "This is something you'd expect to see in North Korea or in Saddam Hussein's Iraq."

Arizona state schools superintendent Tom Horne, a Republican, said lesson plans for teachers created by Obama's Education Department "call for a worshipful rather than critical approach."

The White House plans to release the speech online Monday so parents can read it. He will deliver the speech at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Va.

"I think it's really unfortunate that politics has been brought into this," White House deputy policy director Heather Higginbottom said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"It's simply a plea to students to really take their learning seriously. Find out what they're good at. Set goals. And take the school year seriously."

She noted that President George H.W. Bush made a similar address to schools in 1991. Like Obama, Bush drew criticism, with Democrats accusing the Republican president of making the event into a campaign commercial.

Critics are particularly upset about lesson plans the administration created to accompany the speech. The lesson plans, available online, originally recommended having students "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

The White House revised the plans Wednesday to say students could "write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals."

"That was inartfully worded, and we corrected it," Higginbottom said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9AG43GO0
"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Friends don't let friends educate their children in South Carolina

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

Of course I know all that (I even saw the comments of Heather Higginbottom), and I know why people think they should be upset, still seems totally stupid to me....

The President of the United States was elected by a majority of the country to lead us, so the suggest students should try to think of how they can help him (by which of course he and Bush Sr. both meant helping serve the country and solve or countries problems) is a perfectly acceptable question, and a good way to get the children of this country thinking about how they can help others in the U.S.

What people forget is that he is talking to young children, their response would have been something like "I will help the President by staying in school and working hard, achieving my goals and volunteering to help people......... etc." Their response would be based on the speech he just gave them of course, I don't think some 6th grader would have suddenly decided to support Obama health care reform just because he asked them to write an essay after a speech about staying in school...

Bottom line is that I wrote this originally because I heard so many right wingers saying that he was trying to indoctrinate the children, which is so absurd I can't even explain it....

Styrofoam
Nerd

Re:

Post by Styrofoam »

Kadian wrote:Of course I know all that (I even saw the comments of Heather Higginbottom), and I know why people think they should be upset, still seems totally stupid to me....

The President of the United States was elected by a majority of the country to lead us, so the suggest students should try to think of how they can help him (by which of course he and Bush Sr. both meant helping serve the country and solve or countries problems) is a perfectly acceptable question, and a good way to get the children of this country thinking about how they can help others in the U.S.

What people forget is that he is talking to young children, their response would have been something like "I will help the President by staying in school and working hard, achieving my goals and volunteering to help people......... etc." Their response would be based on the speech he just gave them of course, I don't think some 6th grader would have suddenly decided to support Obama health care reform just because he asked them to write an essay after a speech about staying in school...

Bottom line is that I wrote this originally because I heard so many right wingers saying that he was trying to indoctrinate the children, which is so absurd I can't even explain it....

except, Kadian, that public schools are a training ground for liberal thought. Have you seen the videos of kids singing about "Barak Huissain Obama"?? there's another song that came out that is sung to the tune of Jesus Loves the little children, and even keeps some of the words...ex:

Red and Yellow Black and White they are precious in his sight
and
Red and Yellow Black and White, are all equal in his sight.

the teachers in this country and promoting this messiah complex Obama and the left are trying to cram down our throats. It makes me SICK.

Kadian
Jedi

Re: Since when?

Post by Kadian »

I can't believe you are even still talking about this, this topic is so old now, it's way over with.....

Styrofoam
Nerd

Post by Styrofoam »

sorry, i just got my computer back and i wasn't paying attention, i just wanted to say what i thought :(

Kadian
Jedi

Post by Kadian »

lol

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

IMO more children should be brainwashed no reason that they'd need to think on their own anyways amirite? lol. seriously though fuck politics I'm so sick of hearing this Anti-Liberal everything thrown around everywhere when people don't even know any real facts. Not to say any "liberals" don't also do stupid fucking things, but atleast i don't have to hear about it everywhere i go.

(btw i want universal health care even if thats probably not what we're getting)

StormCrow
Jedi

Post by StormCrow »

i was definitely drunk when i wrote that ^ lol